1. Could you please give us a short introduction about yourself? (Name, position in ASUC, or current study status)
Hi! My name is Ellen, I work as a communications trainee at Urban Tech Helsinki. Concurrent to my work, I am completing a master’s in marketing at Aalto University school of Business
2. Great! Can you tell us a bit about your professional background? For example, what the Master’s study is about?
As I mentioned, I am studying marketing as my major and that is something that I find really interesting. The courses I have taken have been very topical and diverse – currently I am taking a consumer psychology course as well as a course about digitalization of markets and consumption.
Previously I have worked with digital marketing at a small Finnish company and before that I was actually a startup founder myself. That experience was super educational and sparked an interest to learn even more about building startups.
3. Can you explain a bit about your role in Aalto Startup Center?
In Aalto Startup Center I work with the Urban Tech Helsinki project. My responsibilities include both internal and external communications as well as assisting with other tasks related to the program such as organizing events.
4. So, what brought you to Aalto Startup Center originally?
Due to my previous experience with startups, I was really interested in finding a job within the ecosystem to learn more about different startups and the world around them. I felt that the Urban Tech Helsinki communications trainee position combined perfectly my interests in marketing and startups.
4. After a few months of working here, do you enjoy the experience? Which part is your favourite so far?
Yes! The whole ASUC team has been super friendly and welcoming and I have also enjoyed the varying job tasks. I think one of the best things has been meeting so many different people with cool, ambitious ideas and hearing their stories.
6. What have you been working on recently?
Our call for new startups has just ended so the last few weeks I have focused on marketing the open call. Now that the call has ended the focus has shifted towards the selection of new teams and preparing for the upcoming program.
7. What’s your preferred work style?
I enjoy a mix of independent and teamwork. As I have been working remotely for the last few years (as most of us) I have noticed now how much I actually enjoy coming to the office and working on-site with colleagues.
8. Do you want to say something to our startups?
That they are all really brave for choosing the startup life and trying to solve meaningful, interesting problems! In addition, whatever obstacles they face on their journey, ASUC and Urban Tech Helsinki are packed with useful resources, mentors and advisors who are all ready to help out and share their expertise.
9. Any plan or goals for the coming 2023?
To organize an excellent 8-week onboarding period for the new batch of startups and keep up the good work with the whole Urban Tech Helsinki community!
Personally, I look forward to a sunny summer and then my student exchange starting next Fall in Madrid.
10. Tell us one thing about yourself that would surprise us.
When I was younger, I spent most of my weekends with dogs, travelling around Finland for dogshows.